Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DIY Glass Jars

     So, the craft bug bit me. I've been wanting to do a little DIY project, but I couldn't think of anything to do. After hours on Pinterest (that I spend on there anyhow), I kept seeing all kinds of projects involving chalkboards and all kinds of projects involving glass jars. I saw adorable chalkboard paper stickers at JoAnn Fabrics the other day, and I decided I had to go back and buy them. I didn't quite know what I was going to use them for, but it didn't take me long to figure it out. Once I grabbed the stickers, I realized I needed some nice jars to pair them with. I immediately realized that one of those jars was going to be my new laundry soap holder. If you've seen on my ones of my previous posts, which can be found here, I make my own laundry soap. It's cheaper, doesn't have all of the nasty chemicals and I simply prefer it over any liquid I've used. The jar is absolutely perfect for the double batches that I make. The use for my second jar was decidedly a change jar, for all of the extra change and bills that always seem to end up skewed across our dresser.

     After getting lost in the craft store, I came out with the amazing glass jars, chalkboard stickers, and a really neat chalk utensil for writing on the stickers.

 I loved the package of chalk I got, because it came with the utensil for writing plus a bunch of colors of chalk. The utensil has an eraser on it too, which is a definite bonus when you're trying to make things as perfect as you can!

My total with everything came to $20-30, which was a little on the higher end of what I wanted to spend, considering I even had coupons. I'm absolutely positive you could find the jars cheaper elsewhere, I just chose to stick with these because they're nice and thick, and seemingly high-quality.

     The best part about making these, is they weren't too time-consuming, and the final result is just amazing. I'm sure there's a million ways and places to use these jars in a home.

     The most difficult part for me was getting the lettering right. Deciding what to write on them, what font to put it in, etc., My first suggestion-make sure you don't put the stickers on the jars first. You'll have a seriously hard time getting your lettering right if you do.

     Before you begin to letter, take a ruler and put a thin chalk line to keep your letters even, if you plan on doing things straight. It helps, and saves lots of erasing and frustration!!!

     Before you stick the labels on the jars, make sure you wipe them down with some glass cleaner, and let them dry so they're as clean as possible. The last thing you want to do is realize the jar is streaky all around where the label is-AFTER you've put it on. :)


     Once you stick the labels on, you're good to go, your craft is complete!  I can't say enough about these, I love them so much already. They can add a little bit of fun to any dresser or laundry room. I plan on using these in other rooms of the house, in a variety of sizes. I never thought I'd be so excited about glass jars!



     If you've decided to make a few, please share pictures! You can follow me on Twitter/Instagram at, @MrsTayAnderson.

     Enjoy!

xoxo Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment